Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Shibuya Tags

So I've been out to Shibuya the last couple of nights collecting graffiti and tags for my final. It was quite an amazing few nights. Going at night, you really get the feeling and impression of the neighborhoods and the graffiti artists. Almost all of them are put up in the dark of night to leave impressions once the sun rises. It seemed fitting that I too go on my quest to capture their art by cover of night.

At a graffiti shop that sells caps, spray paint and other assorted tagger goods, I was fortunate enough to meet a world famous graffiti artist that goes by the moniker "Jace." The late-twenties Frenchmen that now lives in Madagascar told me about his world-wide trecks to put up graffiti. To better explain he pulled out two published books of his work to show me. He showed me that he uses the surrounding space to influence what he creates. One of the pictures showed me a figure getting sucked up by a large metal pipe in an abandoned industrial plant.

After talking to him for a bit he wished me luck and told me where to look for some of his works currently up near the station in Ueno with a short, laughing story on evading arrest by the Ueno Police.

No comments: