Thursday, September 07, 2006

Neighborhood Narratives

Well this is Neighborhood Narratives. Better yet, I should ask, what is Neighborhood Narratives?

In an odd sort of way I can say thankfully I don’t know yet. Sounds strange, right? Well out of the thousand methods, ideas, and concepts shared in the first class, it became clear that NN (Neighborhood Narratives) will be whatever I make of it. In it’s essence, it’s a class to explore, challenge and explain the place where you live (or some area remotely near). I’m not sure that explain is the best word to use here.

My task, as I understand it, is to be that of the observer. To show the place or places I choose and to let others make of it what they will. I’m sure that in some fashion I’ll offer explanations as well, but it seems far more worthy to try and discover the essence of an area. To dig deeper through the surface layer and lay bare it’s soul, it’s essence. Then offer it to others to enjoy, ponder or dismiss.

I’ve found many areas that intrigue me but nothing yet that really calls to me. Nothing that has presented a mystery or pull that I just can’t seem to shake.

No comments: